Ecole Geant4 de l’IN2P3 et PHENIICS
Orsay, building 203 (LAL)
The 2019 tutorial is supported and organised by The Doctoral School PHENIICS, see also the tutorial Web sites:
Ivana Hrivnacova (IPN Orsay, Universite de Paris-Sud, IN2P3-CNRS) (responsible),
Laurent Garnier (IRISA-CNRS Rennes),
Marc Verderi (LLR, Ecole Polytechnique)
Registration (for external participants) – CLOSED
Only participants from non-commercial educational or research organisations can apply to this session. The participants from commercial organisations can apply to the second session proposed by CNRS Formation Entreprises which will take place in June.
No registration fee will be asked. The travel, accommodation and meals will not be provided and will be entirely at the charge of participants.
If you are interested in participating in the tutorial, please fill in the registration form and return it to us ( email@example.com) together with a document proving your position (student, teacher, researcher) in a non-commercial organisation. The registrations for non-PHENIICS participants will be confirmed only after receiving the required documents. An ID will be required upon arrival at the tutorial place.
The tutorial will alternate lectures with exercises for development of a user application. The goal is to learn step by step using the Geant4 toolkit and developing of a Geant4 application. The following topics will be covered:
- Definition of geometry and materials
- Definition the primary particles sources
- Definition of physical processes and selection of a physics list
- User interfaces, macros, visualization
- Accounting physical quantities (« scoring »), analysis
- Registration: Monday: from 10h00 to 10h30
- Morning session (Monday): from 10h30 to 12h30
- Morning sessions (Tue-Fri): from 9h00 to 12h30
- Afternoon sessions (Mon-Thu): from 14h00 to 18h00
- Afternoon session (Friday): from 14h00 to 16h00
The detailed program is available here.
Basic level of C++ programming language is required :
- basic/syntax: if statements, loop constructs functions, pointers, references, passing function arguments
- classes: class definition and implementation, class data members and member functions/methods, static data members, member functions/methods, base class and derived class, pure virtual function/method
- standard template library: iostream, vector
For those who need a revision see more here.
The hands on will be done on the classroom computers (MAC OSX) with the Geant4 software already installed. If participants want to work with their laptops, it is necessary to install Geant4 before start of the course. No support for installation will be provided during the course. Also no support will be provided for Windows OS.
More detailed instructions about the necessary Geant4 configuration are available here.
The information about the restaurants and the tips for nice walks in the area can be found here.
Ivana Hrivnacova, IPN Orsay