Ecole Geant4 de l’IN2P3 et PHENIICS
Orsay, building 203 (LAL)
The 2017 tutorial is supported and organised by CNRS and The Doctoral School PHENIICS, see the tutorial Web sites:
The site is under construction !!
Ivana Hrivnacova (IPN Orsay, Universite de Paris-Sud, IN2P3-CNRS) (responsible),
Laurent Garnier (OSUR, Universite de Rennes 1, INSU-CNRS),
Marc Verderi (LLR, Ecole Polytechnique)
The tutorial will alternate lectures with exercises for development of a user application. The goal is to learn step by step using the Geant4 toolkit and developing of a Geant4 application. The following topics will be covered:
- Definition of geometry and materials
- Definition the primary particles sources
- Definition of physical processes and selection of a physics list
- User interfaces, macros, visualization
- Accounting physical quantities (« scoring »), analysis
- Morning session (Monday): from 10h30 to 12h30
- Morning sessions (Tue-Fri): from 9h00 to 12h30
- Afternoon sessions (Mon-Thu): from 14h00 to 18h00
- Afternoon sessions (Friday): from 14h00 to 16h00
Basic level of C++ programming language is required :
- basic/syntax: if statements, loop constructs functions, pointers, references, passing function arguments
- classes: class definition and implementation, class data members and member functions/methods, static data members, member functions/methods, base class and derived class, pure virtual function/method
- standard template library: iostream, vector
For those who need a revision see more here.
The hands on will be done on the classroom computers (MAC OSX) with the Geant4 software already installed. If participants want to work with their laptops, it is necessary to install Geant4 before start of the course. No support for installation will be provided during the course .
More detailed instructions about the necessary Geant4 configuration are available here.
Ivana Hrivnacova, IPN Orsay